Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Follow-up to "Let Them Know"

As a result of my post "Let Them Know", I decided to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak, and I e-mailed McDonalds Corporation about the issues I had with their Fair Lawn store. They e-mailed back the next day that they would forward my concerns to the franchise holder and that I should expect to hear from them in the very near future.

I waited almost a week and then e-mailed again because I had not heard from the franchisee. Corporate quickly e-mailed their apologies and assured me they would contact the franchisee again. Below is my most recent e-mail to Corporate:


"Just a follow-up to this thread. On Wednesday evening, I had a
message on my cell phone saying. "Hello Mr. Kirk [Obviously not my name],
this is Mr. (unintelligible) from McDonalds. I'm calling about your
problems with the Fair Lawn McDonalds. This is the second time I've tried
and I guess I'll try tomorrow." Click.

I called back the phone
number that was on my cell showing as a missed call (because the caller left no
contact information as you can see), and left a message giving him my schedule
for Thursday and a contact number at my work. It's now Sunday and there
have been no further attempts to communicate.

The tone was rude and
obnoxious. He was obviously not really interested in what I had to say and
was only calling so that he could tell Corporate that he "tried to contact me"
but "couldn't reach me". I find it interesting that when calling a
disgruntled customer, he couldn't even take the time to get my name
correct. In addition, the fact that it was the "second" attempt to reach
me is an outright lie!! We have caller ID on our house phone as well as my
cell and there is voice-mail on both. He left no messages and there was
only the one unusal phone number on the caller ID from the time that he did
reach my cell.

I think that it's time that Corporate get more
directly involved in this issue. Clearly the management issues in the Fair
Lawn store come from the example set at the franchisees' headquarters.
There is a total lack of interest, concern for the customer, and
professionalism. I know this is not acceptable at Corporate stores and it
should not be allowed at the franchise level. This level of interest is
reflected in most of their stores in the area including Ramsey (17 North) and
Paramus (17 North) but most definitely in the Fair Lawn store. I can tell
you it has made it more likely that we will save our trips to McDonalds for when
we are away from home (and you can imagine how frequent this is) instead of
being our fast food restaurant of choice around home. We now opt for the
local Wendys instead."

I'll let you know how it turns out. So far, it's not very encouraging.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where's My Fries?

I am not surprised at the treatment you received. I happen to love McDonald's French Fries and even though they are atrociously high in fat, I still stop by once in awhile to pick some up. I say 'once in awhile' because I have the most difficult time with getting a full order of fries. Having been a past McDonald's employee, I can tell when one has squeezed my fries pack and when placed in bag end up half full. 90% of the time I find this to be true.

We have four franchises in San Antonio of McDonalds and all have the same problem. Used to have a policy in which they would double check for accuracy. Well, if it's still in effect, it's not bad enough if one person see's the half order of fries, but two people see it and still give it to me anyway. I too have turned to other fast food such as Wendy's, Jack in the box to ensure I get the fries I deserve.

Btw, don't ask for help at Whataburger. The night before my wedding, myself and my fellow groomsmen went to Whataburger. Must of been the busiest night ever. About 20 minutes went by, we asked where's our food, 'It's almost ready' was the reply. After 30 minutes, I asked about our food, now talking to the Assistant Store Manager, 'It should be up soon'. After explaining it had been 30 minutes, I requested the 1-800 complaint number, 'I'd have to get that for you, sir' The manager continued to take orders from customers (who would probably would be waiting just as long). Frustrated, I looked at my receipt, and found the number is (drum roll please), 1-800-6-Burger!! Who could not remember that?? Of course, I got nowhere with the phone recording either. Needless to say, to this day, I'm not always the happy customer, and often find myself speaking my mind. Could I get ketchup with that?

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)