Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, March 19, 2007

Maybe Silence IS Golden....

An interesting discussion has begun on a local blog regarding a program called, "Day of Silence". The original writer is an obviously homosexual student who supported the program as a way to "raise awareness" for "gay rights". Some of the commentors to the blog bring up some very interesting points (some are just ignorant slobs). The one that caught my eye was a discussion of approach vs. message. It reads as follows:


"This on-going argument is what the day of silence has brought – a
stereotypic response on the part of the supporters of the demonstration accusing
objectors of stereotypic behavoir. That is exactly the opposite of the stated
intentions of the demonstration. All "conscious raising” demonstrations are
destructive and divisive; the demonstration tends to minimize the real issue
they intended to help. The exercise’s premise is based upon the non reality that
raising public awareness through a demonstration will abate the issue or get
people to at least understand. What these “mini-dramas” actually do is cast
suspicion on the issue itself, and allow the divisiveness of the organizers to
accuse everyone of being insensitive if anyone objects.

Objective reporting by non-vested third parties, such as newspapers, is
the only way to really get people to understand an issue. This day of silence
rendered the real issue, prejudice against homosexuals, moot as the
demonstration, not the issue, took the center of attention.
"

This is a point that can cover many different issues, not just gay rights. It is something that Cindy Sheehan could listen to, Al Sharpton should pay close attention, and so could the myriad other "protesters" planning things to raise awareness. The writer hits the nail on the head by pointing out that the demonstration becomes the polarizing event and instead of raising awareness, it instead raises defensiveness.

I must say that nothing makes me more "anti-peace" than seeing Cindy Sheehan spouting her rhetoric and hatred. Do I wish that all of our troops were home? Absolutely, I have a friend there that I worry about daily. Of course I want them home and I want us to be "at peace", but her demonstrations make me forget that we are trying to achieve a similar goal because her process overwhelms her message.

The same is true of Al Sharpton. Who wouldn't be in favor of equal treatment for people of all races, nationalities, religions, and even sexual orientations? That is the foundation of our common national belief system. The problem is, seeing Al Sharpton shouting, "No Justice, No Peace" every time a black man is "wronged" does nothing but build resentment.

In addition to having the process become suspect, as the quoted writer (anonymous, by the way) stated, many times the protesters make themselves suspect because they are just as intolerant as those that they are protesting against. Cindy Sheehan refuses to credit intelligence to anyone who would argue against immediate withdrawal of the troops (as do many leading Democrats!). Al Sharpton encourages racism against whites because any incident that injures a black is automatically racist.

An example is the shooting of a black man by an off-duty detective. The mother of the man said, "My son only shot him once, why did he have to shoot back 5 times?" Can you believe the stupidity of this statement?! An officer (or anyone for that matter) who is shot at, no matter how many times, has the right to assume that the first shot may not be the last and thus act accordingly. That is not black-white, it is common sense! But again, that is the message fostered and grown by these demonstrators.

To finish up on the issue of gay rights (the original trigger for today's entry), I must say that I support the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness by all, but not at my expense. If you want to be gay.....be gay (my favorite college roommate was "out of the closet") just don't inflict it on me. Don't accuse me of being a homophobe if I don't want to watch two homosexuals make out or paw each other in public because I wouldn't even want to observe that behavior between heterosexuals. I'm not a homophobe if I don't want to march with you, sign a petition, or participate in a day of silence. I'm just not particularly motivated because I don't feel that many of your rights are lacking, especially here in New Jersey - home of the civil union. It's not a behavior that I understand, but that doesn't mean I'm going to try and outlaw it. I do wish you'd stop hitting me over the head with it along with the peaceniks, animal rights activists, unionists, and all the other demonstrators spewing bile around the country.

Thoughts anyone?

No comments:

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)