Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pull over...it's 15 seconds

I just got back from being on an ambulance call and it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who completely disregard the lights and siren of an ambulance responding to an emergency. Here in New Jersey, failure to yield is a 4 point/$250 fine and yet, I actually had a guy literally race me through an intersection rather than yield for the 15 seconds it would take to pull to the curb and wait for me to pass.

Having been doing this for over 20 years, I'm used to it but it amuses me to have a patient's family member riding up front with me because they are aghast. By the way, this law applies to oncoming traffic as well. This is because you have no idea (nor do I) when I need to pull into the other lane to avoid something in my lane.

When it comes down to it, wouldn't you spare 15 seconds to speed a loved one (or yourself) to the hospital if it came to that? Why can't you do that for someone else? What do you have to do that is so important that you feel justified in risking an accident that could injure or kill up to 4 other people because you can't pull to the curb? Again, it's the law.

Thoughts anyone?

No comments:

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)