Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Another reason to never do business with Verizon!!

Warning....Verizon is one of the most disreputable companies in the United States!!!!!

In reading news today, I've come across another example of how dishonest Verizon is. It seems that when they give you the new FiOS service (better, faster, stronger), they remove the copper line to your home and replace it with fiber-optic line. This means,

"But once the copper is pulled, it's difficult to switch back to the
traditional phone system or less expensive Digital Subscriber Line service. And
Verizon isn't required, in most instances, to lease fiber to rival phone companies, as it is with the copper infrastructure. What's more, anyone who owns Powderly's house
[the man in the example in the article] in the future will face higher bills with FiOS than another home with copper."

The article details how Verizon claims it tells customers prior to switching that it is their intention to remove the copper, but a quick check with a Verizon customer that I know reveals that they were not told either. They are shocked and a little angry at the deception as are most people in the article.

This has been my dealing with Verizon throughout their history. When I switched from Verizon DSL to Earthlink DSL (a significant savings by the way) they disconnected my service immediately and failed to notify Earthlink that the circuit was available until I complained to Earthlink and they found out what had happened. At that time they immediately activated the circuit but it was apparent that Verizon's intention was to make Earthlink look bad and inconvenience me. It is quite obvious that they are out to eliminate competition at all costs.

I cannot urge you enough to take two actions. One, contact the FCC, your senator, your representive, anyone and protest this attempt to eliminate competition by this telecommunications monster!! The other, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH VERIZON!!!

Thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was completely misquoted. I knew, and was not concerned, that the copper wire would be cut.

Here's my story:

http://libiz.blogspot.com/2007/07/associated-press-used-me-dammit.html

Paula D said...

I have verizon as my wireless carrier and will switch as soon as the neverending contract ends! Once you sign up for a plan you cannot switch without extending it for it seems like for life. I was told that I could change my plan when I intially signed up with them, but now they are saying that isn't so. GOOD-BYE Verizon!

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)