Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Reflections

So as I begin my 46th year here on the planet, I reflect upon the things that I've learned. Despite what other writers may have you believe, I don't think I really learned all that I needed to know in kindergarten. I think that it is my job to learn new things continually. Here are some of the more important things I have learned so far:

1) I've found that Billy Joel was right, "just surviving is a noble fight." Coming out of college I left a good paying job with a reputable company doing something that I enjoyed because I felt that it didn't contribute enough to society. Over the years I've often wondered if I hadn't left that job, how would things have turned out. I've learned that having such a job eliminates one part of your life that you have to worry about and you can use your free time to "change the world" or at least make a bigger difference. By always searching for "the perfect job", you may give up the ability to do other things outside of work.

2) I've learned that my parents were right when they told me that you will probably be able to count the number of true friends on your hands. I have many good friends and am lucky enough to have a great deal of acquaintenances whose company I have and do value, however, there are about 6 people that I feel that I could call at this hour (1:45am) and say, "I need your help tonight" and they would come from across the country without question and they know that I would do the same for them.

3) I've learned that family is important. I've seen families that allow themselves to drift apart, to argue about petty things such as status and belongings, and to keep score on who did what to whom. They are, in the long run, very sad people who end up lonely. This past weekend, I lost an aunt and was fortunate enough to be able to attend a family gathering of aunts and uncles and cousins, literally from all over the country. Amid the mourning, there was joy at the ability to be together and laugh and remember and share. Although we hadn't all been in the same place at the same time in 5 years (fortunately a wedding), we knew we were connected.

4) I've learned that you must do what you think is right. Not right for you, just right. You must be able to look at the "man in the mirror" and know that you've done the best you can for those that you can.

This is what I can come up with on the morn of my new year. I hope that I will have more for you next year.

Thoughts anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would be one of the "ones" you could call.

Jimmo

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)