Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, November 9, 2007

"Get off the interstate, Ben Stone"

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to work with a New Store Opening team in upper New York state for the past week. Aside from the chance to mingle with some great people from stores throughout 5 states, I also worked with many of the "locals". It was a week that I won't forget soon.

As I was driving home through the mountains full of changing leaves, I was struck by the thought that we miss an awful lot by staying home or merely relying on planes to carry us from place to place. By "getting off the interstate" (a line from the great movie "Doc Hollywood"), I was able to see the local houses and places of employment. I saw all the diners and auto repair shops. I was able to remember that throughout this country, regardless of political affiliation, religious beliefs, or economic status, we go about our daily lives being in our communities, working with our co-workers, and trying our best to live good lives. It makes you remember how much we are similar. It makes you forget all of the idiosyncracies that drive you crazy about the people in your area. It makes you remember that we are all in this together.

As much as I hate to advocate the use of gas and production of CO2, I encourage all of you to take a drive to someplace different and to appreciate how much we are alike.

Thoughts anyone?

No comments:

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)