Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas whether you like it or not

Much has been said about saying (or not saying) "Merry Christmas". Here are my thoughts. As my pastor said last Sunday, Christmas is about JOY. It is about receiving a message that makes you so happy that you cannot contain it and you just have to exude that happiness. It's like getting THE present that you've been dying for and wanting to share it with everyone you see.

That's a great feeling and it's what generates a greeting like "Merry Christmas". Now I ask, what difference does it make whether you believe that Christ was the Messiah if you understand the meaning behind the greeting? The fact that I'm a Christian does not diminish the sincere feeling behind the greetings of "Mazel Tov" from my Jewish in-laws when my wife and I married. I was able to accept the heart-felt wishes of joy and happiness without being Jewish and without feeling that it threatened my Christianity. I would also be able to accept the greeting of "God is Great" from a Muslim friend in a similar situation.

I have been married for over 3 years so I have gone through the Jewish New Year three times now and have genuinely appreciated the wishes of "Happy New Year" even though it came in September. I have also always returned the greeting of "Good Shabbos" on Friday night even though my Sabbath has always been celebrated on Sundays.

It is important to understand the significance and meaning of the greeting....to the greeter. If I wish you a Merry Christmas, I'm sharing with you the joy and peace that the holiday brings to me. I am hoping that you, through your understanding of God (Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, Buddhist, Confusionist, Zoroastrian, whatever), may receive the peace that I get during this religious celebration. I'm not trying to insult or convert you. I'm also not going to denigrate my celebration by telling you "Happy Holidays" because that means nothing.

So, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

Thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas Kirk!

and a

Happy Hanukkah to your dear wife, April.

With love,
Uncle Frankie

Anonymous said...

Though the holidays are a hectic time, no matter what your denomination, especially when one is the retail industry. I think it's important to take the time and defragment your brain. This usually occurs for me, AFTER the holidays. You're absolutely correct, Kirk. I don't feel that ANYONE should feel offended if the well wisher does not pick the correct wish to send their way. I have started wearing a button telling people that it's OK to wish me a Merry Christmas. How pathetic is this?? It's sad that it's gotten to this point. Everyone is afraid to SAY ANYTHING, for fear of offending anyone. I remember when I was in school. At least 100 years ago. We celebrated EVERYTHING.We ALL enjoyed each other's holidays. We had tolerance , played their games, learned their customs. Got along.
What a concept. HUH? Everyone these days are too busy staying with their own kind, speaking their own language. No one can communicate anymore. AMERICA, THE MELTING POT?? I think NOT!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)