Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pedestrian courtesy

While returning from an ambulance call the other day, my fellow EMT and I were discussing the prevalent "Yield for Pedestrians in Crosswalk". My partner commented on how far society has fallen that we have to print something as basic as Please Don't Run People Over With Your Car on signs and put them in the middle of the street.

From there we progressed to discussing how the whole concept of crossing the street has turned into a war. There are pedestrians that will step into the crosswalk and expect traffic to stop instantaneously, thereby risking an accident. I had the experience of a pedestrian who held up her hand as if she was a traffic cop, as she boldly walked across the street in front of me. Since I was turning right into a driveway (which I was clearly signalling with my blinker) before getting to her crosswalk, I didn't slow down. This made her start angrily pointing at the crosswalk and glaring as she stepped further into my lane of traffic as if daring me to hit her. How smart is that (especially from a retired school teacher....I recognized her)?

Once again it comes down to basic morality. I was raised to respect others, and certainly "do not commit murder" is up there with respect. I therefore, would never consider not stopping for someone who is in front of, or about to be, my car in a crosswalk. I will always stop as I would expect most people to. As a pedestrian, I would wait for a break in traffic and then step into the crosswalk. Once in the crosswalk, I would expect traffic to stop for me either out of courtesy or at least out of respect for the law. This is all common sense people. Why has this become grounds for anger and debate? Why do we need dayglo signs to remind us of this basic courtesy?

Thoughts anyone?



468x60 Sheraton Logo Banner

1 comment:

Harry Knottpotter said...

It seems to be jungle law returning to precedence over the laws of civilization. The gradual erosion of courtesy may be attributed to the loss of ideals engendered by "Noblesse oblige," Nobility obliges, or the responsibilities of noble position to model noble behaviour. Modern life has quickened so much that people have no patience for the etiquette of polite society. Our materialistic consumer driven economy rewards the short term successes over the long term investments. As our politics have become so corrupted by corporate interests and power, cynicism affects all aspects in our society. We have become a nation of scofflaws. What powers do the rules of society hold when the laws of the land are flouted and broken habitually by even those who govern?

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)