Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year Resolutions

I hope and pray that Maj. Jim and all of his charges come home in one piece; I hope that Dawn is able to quit smoking; and I hope that all of you achieve your personal resolutions.

Here now, the dreams I have for the world:

Politics - I hope that 2007 is the year that those who govern us from Washington (and the state houses) realize that we elect them to make choices that are in our best interests. I hope that they understand that we are not interested in partisanship, reelection bids, or any of the other nonsense that occupies their time.

I hope that 2007 is the year that those running for office realize that we are interested in knowing why we should vote for them and not why we shouldn't vote for the other one. Let us get back to intelligent debate of the issues and not mud-slinging crap that reduces our political system to a popularity contest worthy of any junior high school class election.

Taxes - I hope that 2007 is the year that those who govern us study history to find that every time any government (from Ancient Rome on) lowers taxes on its citizenry, government revenues increase and the society prospers. I also hope that my party (the Democrats) realize that I don't really care about how much Ted Kennedy or Warren Buffett get back on their taxes as long as I get some. I would much prefer to get $2 a week back in my paycheck and let them get whatever it is than get $0 back to keep them from "unfairly profitting" from a tax cut.

Religion - I hope that 2007 is the year that all persons involved in organized religion realize that we are basically talking about the same God from a cultural perspective that we can understand. Jesus, Buddha, Abraham, and Mohammed teach the same lesson in a way that is understandable to their disciples. Get over the details and focus on the big message. Mostly, quit using it as an excuse to fight.

International Affairs - I hope that 2007 is the year that we deal a decisive blow to terrorism as an effective tool for change. I hope that we learn that we do need to use force at times, but we also need to step in and fill the void that is being filled by the extremists. Hamas and Hezbollah build schools, hospitals, and housing for the disenfranchised and that's how they maintain their popular support. Our lack of involvement in these activities makes us the enemy. This is a lesson that we never seem to learn and it can't be MORE important.

Racial relations - I hope that 2007 is the year that people (especially the DNC) stop giving creedence to racists like Al Sharpton (I won't use his title because I don't think he's worthy of it) just because he's black. He does more harm to the cause of racial equality than anyone else on the national stage today. There are many more intelligent and insightful persons (i.e. Colin Powell and Condi Rice) worthy of that position (who would of thought that Bill Cosby would be in this realm?)

Civility - I hope that 2007 is the year that we realize that we MUST begin at home to treat each other with a little more courtesy and patience. I hope that we realize that every time we are kind to one person, that kindness travels out like a pebble in a pond.

Environment - I hope that 2007 is the year that car manufacturers make the commitment to switch all vehicles to hybrids which are cleaner and more fuel conservative. I hope that 2007 is the year that solar panels become standard on all new construction. I hope that 2007 is the year that we find out definitively what causes global warming and how to stop it in a way that is realistic and economically viable. I hope 2007 is the year that we all realize that we have a responsibility to this planet which starts by something as simple as not throwing your cigarette butts on the ground or McDonalds wrappers out the car window.

I'm sure that there are many other things that I wish for the world, but I have only so much time. If you have some, please post a comment (or two). Mostly, I hope that 2007 is the year that you all find the most in God's blessings for you and yours.

No comments:

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)