Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Madness to your method

Today my pastor, for whom I have a great deal of respect, preached on social action. He referenced the whole Don Imus affair, which has been discussed here earlier. The pastor urged us to speak out against things that we feel are contrary to our faith. He specifically encouraged us to write to Post and tell them that we will stop buying their cereal if they continue to sponsor shows like Don Imus. I only partially agree.

I heartily agree that we need to put our faith into action. In accordance with that, I have voted my shares in favor of some of the anti-slavery and "green" shareholder proposals that have been brought before the annual meetings in companies in which I hold stock. In addition, I have written about how this blog removed Circuit City as a sponsor after they destroyed the lives of hundreds of their formerly loyal employees. I will continue to speak out in this blog on issues of importance.

The place that I disagree is in the method. As discussed earlier, this type of protest tends to lead to a more negative response than desired. I would encourage you to write Post and tell them you won't buy their cereal IF you have stopped listening to the Don Imus show as a result of his offensive comments. If you've never listened to Imus, then leave Post alone. Why, you may ask.

If you never listened to Imus, by writing to the company you are overstepping your bounds. You already "spoke out" to have Imus removed by the fact that you never listened to his show. Therefore, you already have opted to NOT listen to Post's advertising and thus they are wasting their advertising dollars. If you then write to them and give them the impression that they are losing a customer (that they never had), you are fraudulently representing your position. In addition, you are encouraging them to take action which interferes with those who actually do listen to the show and enjoy it. You are imposing your understanding of a faithful action on them.

For example, I despise Howard Stern and see NO socially redeeming value to him or his show. I find it offensive, unfunny, and moronic. I will not, however, write his sponsors because I don't listen to the show. Those who do, do not harm me and are exercising their God-given right of choice. I will, however, discuss with anyone who cares to listen how I think Howard Stern should be devoid of listeners because he is demeaning to women, minorities, and humanity in general. He appeals to the basest of human failings and should not be encouraged by his listenership. I would question anyone who does listen as to why and would engage them in a conversation. To me, this is the more responsible approach. I am putting my faith into action without imposing it upon those who understand God's call in a different manner.

Thoughts anyone?

No comments:

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)