Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, July 16, 2007

Small business deserves respect

A comment on another blog got me to reflecting on my days as a small-business owner. I just wanted to comment on some common misperceptions out there (I know because I had most of them).

When I first bought my business, I heard all the time about how I was "raking in the money" and being the boss I could "set my own schedule". Let me tell you a secret......that's crap!! I got to rake in whatever was left after paying the rent, paying utilities, paying my suppliers, paying my insurer, paying the phone bill, paying taxes, paying for advertising, paying my employees, and paying my loans. Everyone thinks that you take in all this money and put it in your pocket. They forget that all the rest of this has to be paid too. Add to that all the requests for donations and ads by local charities, schools, and sports teams who think that if you say no, you're not a "good neighbor".

In addition, everyone thinks that you don't have to ever go to work because "you've got people". Well, what happens when you're out to dinner and the "people" that's working calls to tell you they have to go home because they are really sick? Who do you think covers then? What happens when you want to go away on vacation and there is no one over the age of 16 left in town to watch after your business? Do you go away?

My family and I spent a lot of time, energy, money, and worry running a small business for 15 years (longer than the national average) and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. I really enjoyed much of that life, but am VERY glad to be rid of other parts of it. The point here, however, is that you should appreciate the person behind the counter of the local store. In all likelihood, they have sacrificed much to be there. They deserve your respect and hopefully have earned your patronage. If they do well, please tell them. It would probably be the highlight of their day.

Thoughts anyone?

No comments:

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)