Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

More Self-Serve Ripoffs

Having travelled to the midwest, I was able to disprove another myth of those who protect New Jersey's "need" for the "protection" of "full-service" (when was the last time an attendant washed your windshield, checked your oil, or tire pressure?). We've been told that we still have the cheapest gasoline around despite the ban on self-serve. That's no longer true. In St. Louis, I paid $2.59/gal for self-serve Shell regular (and a lot more in taxes per gallon) while here in Fair Lawn, NJ I would pay $2.61/gal for "full" serve regular (with the lowest fuel taxes in the country).

It is plain to see where the $.02/gal is going. Not that the extra $.26 per fill-up would break me (about $12 per year more), but why should I have to pay an EXTRA $12 per year to do something I can do myself just because the state legislators are being wined and dined by the NJ Gasoline Retailers lobby?

Thoughts anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last time I fueled up I got all my windows washed & I went in my friends car & got the same thing, at the Texaco in HHK. I like the full service gas station & think that it's worth the extra $0.26 when it comes down to it because it's more of a hassle to pump your own gas & if you're in a hurry you really don't have the time to waste getting in & out of the car to wait at the pump & then wait in line inside to pay. Also I know that it sounds cliche but it does give more jobs to people in the community; a lot more students are getting jobs at local gas stations.

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)