Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Click to give

In the past few days I've become familiar with things that I had hoped I would never know up close and personal. I'm familiar with the different forms of chemotherapy for breast cancer. I've learned about HER-2 and Herceptin and the almost magical effects it has on cancer. I've learned about "chronic" (aka incurable) cancer and how we "regulate" it. It's not been something I would've volunteered for, but it is a wakeup call.

It's made me acutely aware of the fact that I am quite thankful that my employer has very good medical insurance. I'm thankful that I don't live in Hillary's world where the government decides whether my wife's condition is "worth the cost" of what it would take to treat her. I'm sorry for those whose wives don't have good or even any insurance and I can't imagine the emotional pain and anguish that causes. I know that we need to help them.

It's also made me aware of how we need to celebrate and enjoy each day and quit waiting, saving, and counting towards retirement or "some day". I know that's trite, but it doesn't become apparent unless you make it so.

It's also made me aware of how amazing medical technology is. This leads me to my last point, if you have a minute, please visit http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/ to help fund mammographies for those who can't afford it. While you're at it, check out his affiliated sites such as thehungersite, and theanimalrescuesite. All of these are legitimate as verified by our friends at snopes.com.

Thoughts anyone?

150x40 Sheraton Logo

2 comments:

Dreem said...

England has a target that no one should wait more than 18 MONTHS for treatment.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/publications_show.htm?doc_id=509943

Dreem said...

England has a policy that no one should have to wait more than 18 MONTHS before they get treatment. Not surprisingly, they have a very low rate of survival for cancers.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/publications_show.htm?doc_id=509943

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=ALDQAFHLW3BERQFIQMFCFGGAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/08/21/ncancer121.xml

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)