Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, January 25, 2008

More on Self Serve Gasoline

As my regular readers know, I am against the New Jersey law that prohibits self-serve gasoline in NJ. I am now in South Carolina and I can tell you that the argument that our prices are cheaper even though we don't allow self-serve are false. The price of gasoline is as the same or cheaper here in South Carolina than in NJ even though their state tax on gasoline is higher. This means that full service costs us more in NJ but it being subsidized by the state government in the form of lower fuel tax. This is ridiculous!! Our roads could use the higher income and our consumers could use the break in prices.

I've written my state representatives and only Rep Gordon responded. He felt that he needed to support the current regulation against self-serve "for safety reasons". Apparently he feels that the people of New Jersey are stupider than those in 48 other states around the country where they are smart enough to put a gasoline nozzle in their car's fuel tank without setting it on fire. Is that how little he thinks of his consituents? Maybe it's time that we remove him from office!! Maybe it's time for us to remove all of them in the NJGCA's pocket!!

Thoughts anyone?


Free Price Quotes at Edmunds.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The full service gas stations give more jobs than the self-service stations do and in this dwindling job market we need all of the jobs that can be made available. And honestly, I enjoy my full service gas stations because who really wants to get out of the car (especially if it's cold out)and do it themselves? I've never had to pump my own gas before & I don't plan to any time soon. But even in states that have self-serve stations, there are a few full service gas stations for those of us who like to have the luxury of paying someone else pump our gas. And the gas prices in NJ shouldn't be compared to those of SC because the price of living there is a lot less than it is living here.

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)