Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Are you part of a village?

Hilary Clinton told us years ago that it takes a village to raise a child.  I would expand that and say that it takes a village to be a human being.  Having just gone through the Christmas season where we were inundated with the stories of the modern day Scrooges and Grinches and that tried to ruin Christmas for everyone around them only to find out it was only because they were lonely, it is fresh on my mind exactly how important it is to be part of a "village".

We used to own our own small business and while there are many things that I don't miss about being a small business owner, the one thing I do miss is the feeling of being a member of my community.  I was able to walk into other businesses and there was an immediate feeling of kinship.  I would go around town and run into people who would say, "Hey, it's the video store guy" and we'd have a quick conversation about this and that.  It made me feel connected.

I now have a different job, in the same town, but not as exposed to the public and I don't have that same connection to others in town.  It really brings home the fact that we need to belong to some "village".  We need to be recognized by others, we need to recognize others, we need to be connected.  There needs to be a "Cheers" in our lives where we walk in and everyone yells, "NORM".  It is my New Years' wish that you find your village.

Thoughts anyone?

Shop Disney Figurines at Precious Moments®

No comments:

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)