Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Hybrid Water Heater

Recently we received an e-mail from GE touting a new "hybrid" water heater.  After reading the specifications, checking the online reviews, and emptying the bucket under my leaking gas-fed water heater, I decided to make the purchase.  It cost $1500 (including tax) and that's with me picking it up and installing it.  At this point, it seems that I'll get 30% back on my taxes and possibly at $250 rebate from the state of New Jersey.  That brought the cost down to comparable to a regular gas-fed water heater and it uses less energy.

It's estimated to save me up to $30 per month in energy bills (which I think will turn out to be a little high but we'll see) which would make it pay for itself in 2 years and it comes with an expected life of 10-15 years.  In addition, if we are able to put solar panels on the house, it'll save even more because we'll be using electric instead of natural gas.

Just another way to use new technology to "go green" and reduce both your carbon footprint and your energy costs.  Thoughts anyone?

Toys R Us

No comments:

Peapod - Lighten the Load this Holiday Season with $10 in Free Groceries (468x60)